EARL STONHAM TRUST
&
THE BOWLS CLUB

Sadly, the Bowls Club has informed the Trust it will not be renewing the ground lease this Autumn.

The area has been occupied by the Bowls Club for over sixty years and marks the end of an era in the Village. The Trust has been considering the best alternative use for the site.

The prefabricated Clubhouse is constructed from low grade asbestos sheeting and facilities are in need of renovation to bring up to modern standards. The Trust does not have the funds to do this and neither does the Bowls Club have resources to remove all buildings from the site and reinstate ground as required by the terms of the lease. The Bowling Green is situated on a large mound which further restricts use of the site such as extension of the car park.
This corner forms part of the Recreation Ground endowed to the Village in 1933 and managed by Earl Stonham Trust, a Charitable Trust which is bound by its Constitution and Charity Commission rules to maximise the best use of an asset to maintain an income for the Trust. The Village Hall and car park are separate entities.

The area cannot be left to deteriorate and as Trustees have not found a viable long term alternative use for the site, have reluctantly concluded to apply for outline planning permission to develop the area for housing, if possible.

This could ultimately mean disposal of part of a Village asset although the main Recreation Ground would remain as it is. If anyone has any other suggestions for a viable long term alternative use for this area, please contact any Trustee mentioned below or e-mail jfrgriffiths@yahoo.co.uk
Stacks Image 14
© 2018 Earl Stonham Parish Council